As an essential aspect of consumer life, the packaging you choose for your products can make or break your business goals. Take this opportunity to decide what packaging is right for your products.
Why is Packaging So Important?
We understand packaging in all its glory and know what consumers are looking for when they’re making a purchase.
Contrary to the popular saying, when it comes to your packaging, it’s not just what’s on the inside that counts. Consumers are swayed by what they see and read, so it’s the outside that’s usually the deciding factor in purchases. In fact, some may argue that the packaging is the single most influential aspect of purchasing decisions.
Packaging can be boiled down to serve three main purposes:
Practical Storage and Transportation
If you’re a retailer, the practical aspects of storing and transporting products shouldn’t be overlooked. Your products need to get to their destination safely and in one piece, while still keeping your budget in mind.
The packaging you choose will determine its freshness at its end destination, particularly if you’re selling food products. To make sure your goods make it to their “Use By” or “Best Before” date, they need to be packaged in materials that will keep them as fresh as possible. Failing to do this could mean a lot of prematurely-spoiled items, resulting in a loss of money (and no one wants that!)
As already pointed out, packaging plays a massive part in consumer decision-making. Taking the time to design your packaging so that it’s eye-catching, attractive, and appealing to your customers will make all the difference to your sales.
What Are Your Packaging Options?
Let’s take a look at your options for packaging your products safely, securely, and cost-effectively. Each material has its positives and negatives, so what you choose will depend on its purpose.
- Transparent – You’re able to see its contents from the outside
- Resistant to heat and moisture
- Non-reactive material – Wont alter the taste of food
- Difficult to transport and carry – Will need to be transported carefully to avoid breakage
- Can break easily – A potential danger
- Lightweight material – Making it easy to transport and carry
- Resistant to heat, gases, corrosion and moisture, making it ideal for storing a wide range of contents
- Not very strong – Will not be ideal for heavy goods
- Can’t be welded – Very rigid in its shaping options
- Tends to be one of the more expensive choices out there
- Cheaper alternative to aluminium – Good for your wallet!
- Heat and water resistant
- A heavy material
- Will react with food contents, altering the taste
Tin-Free Steel Packaging
- A strong material that is durable
- More cost-effective than tinplate
- Cannot be welded
- Tends to corrode easily
- It’s heavier than aluminium and so is more difficult to transport and carry
Paper and Paperboard Packaging
- A light material that’s easy to carry and transport
- Reasonably strong to suit a lot of purposes
- Made from recycled materials
- Breaks and tares easily
- Absorbs moisture and is not ideal for humid environments
- Not a good light-barrier
- A strong material
- Acts as a good barrier to a range of contents
- Resistant to tears and breakages
- In its rigid form it can be recycled
- The debris from polyester is a potential threat to the environment
Plastic packaging has had some bad press because of its potential negative impact on the environment. However, plastic remains one of the cheapest, diverse, and flexible options for packaging materials.
Not all plastics are the same though, and each type has its own uses. If you’re not sure what plastic will be best for your products, that’s okay. Just give us a call and we’ll be happy to talk through your choices with you.
Get in Touch
Find out more about the world’s leading food packaging supplier.
Get in touch with SJA Film Tech today. Our team will walk you through your options, whether you’re debating the plastics or going with glass. We’ve got all the answers to your packaging questions.
If you haven’t already guessed, we’re experts when it comes to packaging, design, and materials, and we’re truly passionate about what we do. Packaging is what makes products stand out and look beautiful. We’ll work with you to make sure you’re packing and presenting your products perfectly for optimum sales results.
Call us now on 01282 774364 for a chat with a friendly member of our team.